Breathing is the process of taking air into the lungs and expelling it back out into the world.
Respiratory therapists are medical professionals who deal with breathing each and every day. Their number one goal is to ensure that each patient is, in fact, breathing.
Of course, this is a requirement for survival which is why it’s important to learn what it means to breathe and develop a deep understanding of the word.
To help, we compiled a list of the best and most inspiring quotes about breathing.
Best Quotes About Breathing:
1. Breathing is the greatest pleasure in life. – Giovanni Papini
2. Just breathe. – Author Unknown
3. Breathe deeply, until sweet air extinguishes the burn of fear in your lungs and every breath is a beautiful refusal to become anything less than infinite. – D. Antoinette Foy
4. Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. – Oprah Winfrey
5. Inhale the future, exhale the past. – Author Unknown
6. The trick to life is to just keep breathing. – John Landry
7. Learn how to exhale, the inhale will take care of itself. – Carla Melucci Ardito
8. When the breath is unsteady, all is unsteady; when the breath is still; all is still. Control the breath carefully. Inhalation gives strength and a controlled body; retention gives steadiness of mind and longevity; exhalation purifies body and spirit. – Goraksasathakam
9. The wisest one-word sentence? Breathe. – Terri Guillemets
10. Only those who know how to breathe will survive. – Pundit Acharya
11. If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance. – Andrea Boydston
12. Pause, breathe. Repair the universe, then proceed. – Author Unknown
13. Breathe in deeply to bring your mind home to your body. – Thich Nhat Hanh
14. Without full awareness of breathing, there can be no development of meditative stability and understanding. – Thich Nhat Hanh
15. Breathe, it’s just a bad day, not a bad life. – Author Unknown
16. Inhale, then exhale. That’s how you’ll get through it. – Author Unknown
17. Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. – L. Frank Baum
18. Just breathing can be such a luxury at times. – Author unknown
19. The ability to breathe is a gift. Wake up grateful each day for that gift. – John Landry
20. For breath is life, so if you breathe well you will live long on earth. – Sanskrit Proverb
Does it get any cuter than this Breathe Easy coffee mug? I think not. Grab yours today.
21. Conscious breathing heightens awareness and deepens relaxation. – Dan Brule
22. Smile, breathe, take it slow, and live a happy life. – John Landry
23. Your breath is your anchor. – Author Unknown
24. Breath is the link between mind and body. – Dan Brule
25. What can we do but keep on breathing in and out, modest and willing, and in our places? – Mary Oliver
26. Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. – Author Unknown
27. Deep breathing brings deep thinking and shallow breathing brings shallow thinking. – Elsie Lincoln Benedict
28. Breathing, according to me, corresponds to taking charge of one’s own life. – Luce Irigaray
29. You’re alive and breathing. That’s a fine reason to celebrate. – John Landry
30. Life is pretty easy. Breathe in and breathe out, then repeat. – Author Unknown
31. It can still be a good day if the only thing you did was breathe. – John Landry
32. If I had to choose between loving you and breathing, I would use my last breath to say I love you. – Author Unknown
33. Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor. – Thich Nhat Hanh
34. I wake up every day and think, “I’m breathing! It’s a good day.” – Eve Ensler
35. Breathing well means breathing more slowly and deeply. Relax, feel your breathing, and breathe comfortably. Once aware, it naturally becomes deeper and slower. – Ilchi Lee
36. There is one way of breathing that is shameful and constricted. Then there’s another way; a breath of love that takes you all the way to infinity. – Rumi
37. Breathing control gives man strength, vitality, inspiration, and magic powers. – Zhuangzi.
38. A healthy mind has an easy breath. – Author Unknown
39. Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment, I know this is the only moment. – Thich Nhat Hanh
40. Whenever you’re feeling down — just breathe. Everything will work its way out in the end. – John Landry
41. Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts. – Thích Nhất Hạnh
42. When you inhale, you are taking the strength from God. When you exhale, it represents the service you are giving to the world. – BKS
43. Listen. Are you breathing just a little and calling it a life? – Mary Oliver
44. Loving you is like breathing. How can I stop? – Author Unknown
45. Whatever is going to happen in life will happen. Just be thankful to be alive — to be breathing. – John Landry
46. I love to breathe. Oxygen is sexy! – Kris Carr
47. It’s funny, but you never really think much about breathing. Until it’s all you ever think about. – Tim Winton
48. Each time I see you I stop breathing for a second. – Author Unknown
49. Focusing on the act of breathing clears the mind of all daily distractions and clears our energy enabling us to better connect with the Spirit within. – Author Unknown
50. To meditate with mindful breathing is to bring body and mind back to the present moment so that you do not miss your appointment with life. – Nhat Hanh
51. Take a deep breath. Let the rest come easy. – Author Unknown
52. Breathing is not the same as being alive. A great number of people breathe but never live. – Author Unknown
54. Words are the bones. Writing is the lungs. Reading is like breathing. – T.L. Crain
55. Remember, as long as you are breathing it’s never too late to start a new beginning. – Author Unknown
56. You’ll never really see how toxic someone is until you breathe fresher air. – Author Unknown
57. Who will tell whether one happy moment of love or the joy of breathing or walking on a bright morning and smelling the fresh air, is not worth all the suffering and effort which life
58. Breathe in the good shit. Breathe out the bullshit. – Author Unknown
59. Breathing affects your respiratory, cardiovascular, neurological, gastrointestinal, muscular, and psychic systems, and also has a general effect on your sleep, memory,
60. Breathing dreams like air. – F. Scott Fitzgerald
61. Spiritual Breathing teaches us that we are all connected in love. – Dan Brule
62. We too should make ourselves empty, that the great soul of the universe may fill us with its breath. – Laurence Binyon
63. If you’re still breathing, you have the power to take control of your life — to take control of the world. – John Landry
64. Regulate the breathing, and thereby control the mind. – B.K.S. Iyengar
65. Improper breathing is a common cause of ill health. – Dr. Andrew Weil
66. Just because you can’t see the air doesn’t mean you stop breathing, and just because you can’t see God doesn’t mean you stop believing. – Author Unknown
67. He lives most life whoever breathes most air. – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
68. As you waste your breath complaining about life, someone out there is breathing their last. Appreciate what you have. – Author Unknown
69. Breath is life. We should pay as much attention to it as any other aspect of beingness. – Swami Nostradamus Virato
70. Breathing is meditation; life is a meditation. You have to breathe in order to live, so breathing is how you get in touch with the sacred space of your heart. – Willow Smith
71. Money is like oxygen. If you don’t exhale, you’re not breathing. – Marci Geller
72. The nose is for breathing, the mouth is for eating. – Proverb
73. If you’re still breathing, you’re still in the race. – Author Unknown
74. Breathe like you mean it. – John Landry
75. Take a deep breath and enjoy your life. – Author Unknown
76. Every breath you take proves just how blessed you really are. – John Landry
77. Let the air become you, and then leave you. Forgive each breath because although it abandons you, every single time, it is also brings you life. A man who cannot forgive the air has no chance of living. – Edmond Manning
78. Breathe easy. – Author Unknown
79. Change your breathing, change your life. – Author Unknown
80. Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live. – Author Unknown
Looking for tasty tea for better breathing? Check this one out on Amazon.com.
82. Breathe. Step back. Think, then react. – Author Unknown
83. Breathe. Believe. Receive. – Author Unknown
84. Breathe in inspiration and trust yourself that the answer is yes you can. – Author Unknown
86. Deep breaths are like little love notes to your body. – Author Unknown
87. The secret to longevity is to keep breathing. – Sophie Tucker
89. When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe, that’s when you will be successful. – Author Unknown
90. Breathe it all in. Love it all out. – Author Unknown
91. Breath is Spirit. The act of breathing is Living. – Author Unknown
92. All chronic pain, suffering, and diseases are caused by a lack of oxygen at the cell level. – Dr. Arthur C. Guyton
93. Breathe happily. – Author Unknown
94. Happiness breathes when you do. – Terri Guillemets
95. Take a deep breath. Let out all the stress. You deserve to be okay. – Author Unknown
96. When you own your breath, nobody can steal your peace. – Author Unknown
97. For breath is life, and if you breathe well you will live long on
98. Every day is a new beginning. Take a deep breath. Smile, and start again. – Author Unknown
99. Each breath is like a little rebirth, a renaissance that can only be celebrated if we recognize that it’s happening. – Cristen Rodgers
Just Breathe Quotes To Clear Your Mind
Oprah Winfrey said it best:
Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.
Is the key to happiness really that simple?
It’s a lot easier said than done, but taking a few deep breaths can do wonders for your mind, body, and soul.
Whether you’re feeling stressed, anxious, or just need a moment to clear your head, these just breathe quotes will help you let go and find peace.
Inhale Exhale Quotes
“Inhale, and God approaches you. Hold the inhalation, and God remains with you. Exhale, and you approach God. Hold the exhalation, and surrender to God.” – Patanjali
“Inhale, exhale. Our lungs fill with air and we are alive. The simple act of breathing is often taken for granted, but it’s a miracle nonetheless.” – Cristina Marrero
“Every time you inhale, you are taking the strength from God. Every time you exhale, it is an act of love back to God.” – Krishna Das
As an affiliate, we receive compensation if you purchase through this link.
Take a Breath Quotes
“Take a deep breath in through your nose and feel the cool air fill your lungs, then exhale slowly out through your mouth.” – Unknown
“Take a break. Relax. Breathe. You’re doing great.” – Unknown
“The best way to remove stress is to take a deep breath and let it out slowly.” – Unknown
Breathe In Breathe Out Quotes
“Breathe in courage, breathe out fear.” – Unknown
“Breathe in love, breathe out hate.” – Unknown
“Breathe in patience, breathe out anger.” – Unknown
“Breathe in strength, breathe out weakness.” – Unknown
“Oxygen is to fire as hope is to the human soul.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
“Oxygen makes up 21% of the air we breathe, but it makes up 100% of the air we need to survive.” – Unknown
“Oxygen is the enemy of fire.” – Edward M. Purcell
Remember to Breathe Quotes
“Whenever you feel overwhelmed, just remember to take a deep breath and start again.” – Unknown
“Whenever life gets you down, just remember to breathe. Inhale confidence, exhale doubt.” – Unknown
“Whenever you’re feeling lost or alone, just remember to breathe. Inhale hope, exhale despair.” – Unknown
“Just remember: when you’re feeling lost or alone, just breathe.” – Unknown
So, there you have it. Ninety-nine of the absolute best and most inspiring breathing quotes to help get you through the day!
Feel free to use and share them in any way you please.
We also compiled a list of more motivational quotes that I think you will enjoy. Thank you so much for reading, and as always, breathe easy, my friend.
John Landry, BS, RRT
John Landry is a registered respiratory therapist from Memphis, TN, and has a bachelor's degree in kinesiology. He enjoys using evidence-based research to help others breathe easier and live a healthier life.
- The gifted authors of these amazing quotes about breathing were credited throughout the article at the end of each quote.
Medical Disclaimer: The information provided by Respiratory Therapy Zone is for educational and informational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with a physician with any questions that you may have regarding a medical condition.