Having wide feet has been known to be a problem for nurses and healthcare workers in the medical field. That is because it can be difficult to find a pair of shoes to fit properly.
Not to mention, being required to stand on your feet for long hours only makes matters worse over time. We created this guide for nurses and healthcare workers with wide feet to help find the right shoes to wear on the job. So, if you’re ready, let’s get started.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links which means, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Our Top Recommended Shoes for Nurses with Wide Feet:
Best Shoes for Nurses with Wide Feet:
Our number one pick for the best shoes for nurses with wide feet is the reliable Dansko Women’s Professional Nurse Clogs. A favorite among healthcare workers, these shoes feature the patented materials and construction that provide comfort during all-day wear while also improving the health of the feet, legs, and back.
This style of Dansko boasts an impressively roomy toe box that gives your toes some much-needed wiggle room. These clogs offer a wide heel strike area for better stability and balance while walking.
Dansko’s Women’s Professional Nurse Clogs comes with a padded instep collar, allowing for optimum comfort from the first day they are worn.
Dansko’s classic rocker bottom construction works to cushion your feet from harsh impacts and shocks while reducing the fatigue your feet feel after a long day of walking. Sizing ranges from 3 to 13, and wide widths are available if needed.
- The classic rocker bottom on these clogs provides your feet with protecting shock absorption and reduces feet and leg fatigue.
- A roomy toe box allows for more space for your toes to stretch out while increasing the durability in an often weak area.
- An extra-wide heel strike improves your stability and balance while walking.
Are you more of a sneaker kind of nurse but want something more professional-looking? Then the Nurse Mates Velocity Medical Shoes are for you. With a lightweight slip-resistant bottom and a cleanly designed upper, these shoes give you that athletic feel without sacrificing the must-haves of nursing shoes.
The outer sole of the Velocity shoe provides you with supportive cushioning against shocks while keeping you stabilized throughout your day.
- The sleek sneaker design gives you the comfort and feel of a sneaker with built it alignment and stability support.
- The soles are slip-resistant and padded with supportive cushioning that protects against shocks.
- An Align orthotic insole that helps to correct your foot alignment and positioning is included.
The New Balance Fresh Foam Running Shoes are the ultimate nursing sneaker with unbeatable support and cushion. The Hypoknit upper is designed to stretch and compress in strategic areas to support the sides of the feet. A wider toe box allows for more space to stretch your toes, keeping them from being cramped during long days.
With a bootie construction and an Ultra Heel back, these shoes provide a snug, supportive fit to prevent slippage while walking. The Fresh Foam sole found in these shoes allows for optimum shock absorption and plush comfort with New Balance’s most advanced cushion yet.
The New Balance Fresh Foam Running Shoes also feature an Ortholite sockliner and cushioned insert for comfort and moisture control. These shoes range from size 5 to 13, with wide and extra wide widths available.
- A snug and supportive fit around the heel prevents slippage with the bootie construction and the Ultra Heel design.
- With the Hypoknit upper, the shoe can stretch and compress in strategic areas to provide the best support for the feet.
- New Balance’s patented Fresh Foam soles offer optimum shock absorption and cushion to keep you comfortable during long workdays.
Touting a different construction than modern running shoes, the Reebok Women’s HIIT Cross Training Shoes are made for endurance and quick position changes. With these shoes, you never have to worry about slipping on slick floors, as they have a mixed pattern on their soles to gain traction on any surface.
This is also beneficial in fast-paced environments where quick footwork and running are the norm. The whole shoe is made to be lightweight, with EVA foam and mesh construction.
The foam cushioning provides shock protection and comfort, while the mesh upper increases the shoe’s breathability. Extra comfort can be found in the pillowed collar that envelopes the foot and secures the shoe. These shoes come in sizes 5 to 11, with some half sizes available.
- A mixed grip pattern found on the soles of these shoes provides extra traction over a range of surfaces.
- A lightweight EVA foam makes up the sole and offers protection from harsh impacts and increased cushioned comfort.
- The pillowed collar helps to secure the shoe to your feet while going through your busy workday.
An updated version of their classic professional clog, the Dansko Women’s XP 2.0 Clogs for Nurses comes with a slip-resistant sole and ergonomic, natural arch technology. These newly designed clogs are constructed with a lightweight EVA foam midsole, reducing the overall weight and allowing for smoother movements. The natural arch technology found in these shoes provides you with exceptional support while remaining comfortable.
A textured sole provides slip resistants to all wet or oily surfaces, so you never again need to worry about the slip hazards of the job. Advanced shock absorption and an energetic bounce-back design can be found with the Dansko Women’s XP 2.0 Clogs for Nurses rocker bottoms style.
A spacious, reinforced toe box allows for extra movement and stretches to help you stay relaxed even after a long day at work. These clogs come in sizes 4.5 to 13, with half sizes and wide widths available.
- Ergonomic, natural arch technology can be found in the removable dual-density insoles and is designed to be both comfortable and supportive.
- The midsole has been redesigned out of EVA foam to lighten the shoe’s overall weight, which gives you a weightless feel all through your day.
- A rocker-style bottom provides an energetic bounce to each step while protecting your feet from shocks.
A nurse’s hectic workday is no match for our next choice. The Brooks Women’s Ghost Running Shoes is designed to perfectly support and comfort your legs and feet in fast-moving environments. The segmented crash pads found on the shoes sole provide you with exceptional heel-to-toe transition protection from harsh impacts and shocks.
- DNA Loft cushion helps to propel your feet with each step, all while providing you day-long cushioned comfort.
- An upper made of engineered mesh allows for a breathable fit that helps keep your feet cool and dry.
- The crash pads on the sole works to protect the whole step transition from any shocks, and it provides extra traction in slick environments.
Our final pick, the Hoka One One Speedgoat Wide Trainers, provides you with a bouncy and comfortable ride regardless of how long your working. A seamless mesh upper works in combination with the shoe’s low profile to allow a more breathable design with enhanced ankle mobility.
The included removable insole gives your feet comfort and shock absorption from its foam-cushioned construction.
- The Vibram Megagrip traction lugs appear as 5mm rubber nodes on the sole of the shoe and provide you with superior stability.
- A removable, foam-cushioned insole gives you protection from harsh impacts and comforts you throughout your day.
- The mesh upper is seamless for decreased irritation and increased breathability, keeping your feet cool during long shifts.
Hopefully, this guide can help make that process easier for you. Thank you so much for reading and as always, breathe easy my friend.
John Landry, BS, RRT
John Landry is a registered respiratory therapist from Memphis, TN, and has a bachelor's degree in kinesiology. He enjoys using evidence-based research to help others breathe easier and live a healthier life.