Stethoscopes are one of the most-used medical devices by doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, and other healthcare professionals. Unfortunately, many users do not clean their device as often as they should. This is why it’s recommended to use one of the best stethoscope cleaners to keep this important tool clean and in great condition.
This guide provides reviews of the best stethoscope cleaner wipes and products that you can use to prolong the condition of your stethoscope. Hopefully, it can help you select the best product to fit your needs. So if you’re ready, let’s get into it.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links which means, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Our Top Recommended Stethoscope Cleaner Wipes and Products:
1. Praveni Stethoscope Cleaner (Restorer and Protector)
2. CaviWipes Germicidal Stethoscope Cleaner Wipes
3. Rescue One-Step Stethoscope Cleaner Wipes
4. Care Touch Sterile Alcohol Prep Pads
5. Stethocap Disposable Stethoscope Covers
6. Micro-Scientific Opti-Cide Max Disinfecting Wipes
7. PDI Q55172 Pdi Super Sani-Cloth Wipes
Keep reading for our more detailed reviews of the best stethoscope cleaner wipes to purchase to clean and prolong the longevity of your device.
Best Stethoscope Cleaner Wipes for Purchase:
Number one on our list of best stethoscope cleaners is the Praveni Stethoscope Cleaner (Restorer and Protector). This cleaner works on nearly all stethoscope materials, from plastic and vinyl to rubber; this formula can clean and restore it all.
It can remove oil buildup, tackiness, and contaminants from extended use and won’t leave your equipment feeling greasy.
The hardening and weakening of the tubing from a combination of skin oils, sanitizers, and consistent use can be undone and protected against with this cleanser.
It can also help extend the life of your trusty stethoscope and make it look like new by enhancing the vibrancy of the colors, revitalizing the materials, and protecting it from fading caused by UV light exposure. The protection left behind will prevent dirt and dust buildup without an excessive amount of gloss.
- Works to cleanse, restore, and protect the various parts of the stethoscope, including the plastic, vinyl, and rubber parts
- Removes oil and dirt buildup as well as tackiness
- Restores the look and feel of aged stethoscopes
- Returns a measure of flexibility to stiff tubing
- Protects the stethoscope from further damage and prevents dust and dirt buildup
The heavy-duty CaviWipes Germicidal Stethoscope Cleaner Wipes come in at number two on our list. These wipes are great for sanitizing your stethoscope and various other equipment.
The powerful, intermediate-level disinfecting cleanser kills tuberculosis in three minutes while killing MRSA, Hepatitis B and C, and HIV-1 in two minutes. This durable wipe kills the disease-producing microbes and fungal germs that are common in healthcare.
These wipes are woven and non-abrasive so that they won’t scratch delicate pieces of your stethoscope or other equipment when used. These cleansing wipes can be used on a variety of non-porous surfaces and with most types of stethoscopes.
The container comes with a deep well lid, tight seal, and easy pop-top to help keep the cleansing wipes accessible without drying them out.
- Heavy-duty, medical-grade sanitizing ability will kill tuberculosis, MRSA, Hepatitis B and C, HIV-1, and a host of other disease-producing microbes and fungal germs.
- The cleanser comes on a pre-moistened, woven wipe for easy and efficient cleaning.
- The non-abrasive material won’t scratch or harm the delicate pieces of the stethoscope.
Coming in at number three on our list is the Rescue One-Step Stethoscope Cleaner Wipes. These wipes come saturated with Rescue’s AHA-based disinfectant that kills bacteria, tuberculosis, viruses, and fungal diseases within 60 seconds of contact.
These cleaning wipes require no spray, diluting, or cleanups afterward. They can remove dust, dirt, blood, and a variety of stains from your stethoscope. These easy to use wipes come in a pop-top container with a tight seal that prevents the wipes from drying out.
- The AHA-based disinfectant kills tuberculosis, bacteria, viruses, and fungal diseases within 60 seconds of wiping down an object or surface.
- Multifunctional with the ability to be used on most non-porous surfaces in the home or at work.
- The cleaner comes in a convenient, pop-top container that allows the wipes to remain moist when not in use.
- Effective in removing dirt, dust, blood, and various stains from your stethoscope or surfaces.
Number four on our list is the convenient Care Touch Sterile Alcohol Prep Pads. These pads are saturated with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol for the best in cleaning and sanitization. They come individually packaged in small, two-by-two wrappers with four layers of protection for an airtight seal around each wipe.
These cleansing wipes are perfect for quick cleaning of small surfaces, and extras can be kept in a bag or pocket for quick retrieval. All wipes are kept sterile until opening and are safe to use with bare skin. They come in an easy-open box with 200 2-ply pads each.
- With 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, they are suitable for both light cleaning and sanitization of small objects and surfaces.
- The two-by-two wrapper with four layers of protection ensures that these wipes are kept moist until use.
- With a small and convenient size, these cleansing wipes can easily be thrown in a bag or pocket for use on the go.
The Stethocap Disposable Stethoscope Covers comes in at number five on our list today, with their usefulness in preventing the need to clean your stethoscope after each use.
The regular application of most chemical cleaners and disinfectants can breakdown delicate parts of a stethoscope over time. The less of these harsh chemicals used on your equipment, the longer they will last.
- A perfect fit for any stethoscope on the market, regardless of make or model.
- Reduces the use of harsh chemical cleaners and disinfectants that can serve to breakdown delicate material faster.
- Protects the diaphragm of the stethoscope from disease-causing bacteria and germs.
- Made out of durable, non-woven cloth that contours itself around the shape of the diaphragm.
Our number six best cleaner on the list is the Micro-Scientific Opti-Cide Max Disinfecting Wipes. These wipes are saturated with a low-alcohol, broad-spectrum disinfectant that is guaranteed to kill both tuberculosis, ESKAPE, and Multi-Drug Resistant Organisms, as well as disease-causing bacteria, viruses, and fungus.
Most bacteria and organisms will be killed within 30 seconds of exposure, with tuberculosis taking the longest at two minutes.
The textured cloth wipes are useful in scrubbing off dirt, debris, blood, and other contaminants from non-porous surfaces without leaving behind a stain or any residual tackiness.
It is safe to use on most surfaces, including stainless steel, aluminum, brass, acrylics, plastics, and more. The container holding the cleansing wipes employs a pop-top with a tight seal to prevent moisture loss.
- A broad-spectrum disinfectant with a low-alcohol level guarantees to kill disease-causing organisms within 30 seconds and up to two minutes.
- Sanitizes surfaces from ESKAPE, and Multi-Drug Resistant Organisms as well as tuberculosis.
- It is safe to use on most non-porous surfaces as a cleanser, and it will not leave behind a stain or any tacky residual.
Lastly, the PDI Q55172 Pdi Super Sani-Cloth Wipes come in at number seven. These are the #1 cleansing wipes used in the healthcare industry and can be found in most hospitals, care centers, and clinics.
The thick, durable wipes are saturated with an intermediate level disinfectant cleaner that kills 30 disease-causing microbes and six multi-drug resistant organisms.
- Contain thick and durable wipes that are 6 inches by 6.75 inches, large enough to wipe down every part of your stethoscope while only using one wipe.
- Includes an intermediate-level disinfectant cleaner that kills 30 disease-causing microbes as well as multi-drug resistant organisms./li>
- Only two minutes of direct contact with the cleaner will disinfect the stethoscope against the viruses, bacteria, bloodborne pathogens, and fungal diseases noted on the packaging.
Why Use a Stethoscope Cleaner?
Various studies have indicated that healthcare workers tend to underestimate the potential for disease-causing microbes to infect the surface of their stethoscopes. This is cause for concern not just for patients that the stethoscope comes in contact with but also for the healthcare worker themselves.
The most common way of wearing a stethoscope is around the neck, and not only does this put the wearer close to potential pathogens, but it also puts the stethoscope in contact with the sweat and oils that are expelled naturally from the skin.
These oils can, in turn, cause the early breakdown and cracking of delicate tubing, causing the need to replace the stethoscope or its parts sooner than needed.
Hopefully, this guide can help you find the best stethoscope cleaner to fit your needs. Thank you so much for reading and as always, breathe easy my friend.
John Landry, BS, RRT
John Landry is a registered respiratory therapist from Memphis, TN, and has a bachelor's degree in kinesiology. He enjoys using evidence-based research to help others breathe easier and live a healthier life.