Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a serious and progressive lung condition that affects millions of people worldwide. The symptoms of COPD can range from mild to severe and can greatly impact a person’s quality of life.
Despite the severity of this condition, many people continue to live full and meaningful lives, drawing inspiration and strength from a variety of sources. In this article, we will explore some of the best quotes about COPD, offering words of wisdom and encouragement for those living with the condition and their loved ones.
From the perspectives of patients, caregivers, and medical professionals, these quotes offer insight and inspiration for anyone impacted by COPD.
Best Quotes About COPD:
1. COPD is a tough disease and takes a lot of work to manage. To have a fulfilling life takes determination. – Carol Kirker
2. You can and will be able to make a significant difference in the quality of your life if you make the commitment to take an active role in managing your disease. – Teri Allen
3. You can find your best life with COPD — a life with health, happiness, and hope. – Jane Martin
4. You are more than your lung disease – John Landry
5. It’s time for you to win the daily fight for air. – Elizabeth Moffett
6. It’s important to educate yourself now versus later. Knowledge is power, and having all the knowledge at the start will make the rest of the journey that much easier to deal with. – Unknown
7. Patients at every stage of COPD can learn to work with their limitations, rather than against them. – Teri Allen
8. COPD affects much more than just your lungs. It affects your soul. But you can conquer it. – Unknown
9. COPD is like an iceberg because what you see is only the tip of what’s really going on. – Unknown
10. COPD can be a ruthless disease, but I am determined to fight it and live each day with love and laughter. – Abby Brown
11. By understanding both the physical and emotional aspects of COPD, you can learn to work with your problems rather than against them. – Teri Allen
12. The way to keep moving forward is to talk to others living with the same condition. – Unknown
13. Up to 20% of people diagnosed with COPD are due to non-smoking-related causes.
14. Millions of people worldwide have COPD but are currently undiagnosed.
15. COPD is a thief. It steals your breath, your ability to move, and your ability to live. – Unknown
16. The only way to truly understand COPD is to live it. – Unknown
17. COPD is not a death sentence; it’s a life sentence. It’s a constant battle but one that is worth fighting. – Unknown
18. COPD is a disease that gradually takes away your ability to breathe. It’s a constant reminder that every breath is precious. – Unknown
19. COPD may limit my physical abilities, but it will never limit my spirit. – Unknown
20. COPD is not a sprint; it’s a marathon. It requires patience, determination, and a strong will. – Unknown
21. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. – Maya Angelou
22. I may have COPD, but COPD does not have me. – Unknown
23. The older I get, the more I lose my ability to breathe. – David Levithan
24. Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours. – Swedish Proverb
25. The wisest one-word sentence? Breathe. – Terri Guillemets
26. Breathing is the greatest pleasure in life. – Giovanni Papini
27. COPD is a disease that affects not just the person who has it but also their loved ones. – Unknown
28. COPD is a reminder that health is not something to take for granted. – Unknown
29. COPD is a reminder that the things we take for granted, like breathing, are actually a gift. – Unknown
30. Breathe easy. – Unknown
31. Just because you can’t see the air doesn’t mean you stop breathing, and just because you can’t see God doesn’t mean you stop believing. – Unknown
32. Breathing is meditation; life is a meditation. You have to breathe in order to live, so breathing is how you get in touch with the sacred space of your heart. – Willow Smith
33. Let the air become you, and then leave you. Forgive each breath because although it abandons you, every single time, it also brings you life. A man who cannot forgive the air has no chance of living. – Edmond Manning
34. It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit. – J.R.R. Tolkien
35. Inhale the future, exhale the past. – Author Unknown
36. Just breathing can be such a luxury at times. – Unknown
37. COPD may slow me down, but it will never stop me from living my life to the fullest.” – Unknown
38. People don’t understand that COPD is a chronic condition that requires constant care. They don’t realize what’s involved to be able to breathe. – Unknown
39. COPD is a challenge, but I choose to see it as an opportunity to grow stronger. – Unknown
40. COPD is a reminder that every breath is a blessing and should be cherished. – Unknown
41. COPD is the third leading cause of death in the United States, behind heart disease and cancer.
42. COPD is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, including smoking, exposure to air pollution, and frequent respiratory infections.
43. COPD symptoms often don’t appear until significant lung damage has already occurred.
44. COPD can cause a wide range of symptoms, including shortness of breath, wheezing, chest tightness, and chronic coughing.
45. COPD can lead to other serious health problems, including heart disease, lung cancer, and depression.
46. COPD is currently incurable, but it can be managed with a combination of medications, lifestyle changes, and oxygen therapy.
47. COPD is a preventable and treatable disease, yet in many countries, less than 20% of people with COPD receive appropriate care.
48. COPD is a leading cause of hospitalization and premature death worldwide.
49. COPD can affect people of all ages, but it is more common in older adults and people who smoke.
50. COPD is a reminder that the things we take for granted, like breathing, are such an amazing gift. – Haley Peterson
51. COPD is a serious chronic condition, but it does not define the person whom it affects. – Brant Reader
52. Breathe deeply, until sweet air extinguishes the burn of fear in your lungs and every breath is a beautiful refusal to become anything less than infinite. – D. Antoinette Foy
53. Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. – Oprah Winfrey
54. When the breath is unsteady, all is unsteady; when the breath is still; all is still. Control the breath carefully. Inhalation gives strength and a controlled body; retention gives steadiness of mind and longevity; exhalation purifies body and spirit. – Goraksasathakam
55. Without full awareness of breathing, there can be no development of meditative stability and understanding. – Thich Nhat Hanh
56. What can we do but keep on breathing in and out, modest and willing, and in our places? – Mary Oliver
57. Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. – Unknown
58. Breathing well means breathing more slowly and deeply. Relax, feel your breathing, and breathe comfortably. Once aware, it naturally becomes deeper and slower. – Ilchi Lee
59. Pause, breathe. Repair the universe, then proceed. – Unknown
60. COPD may affect you both mentally and physically. – John Landry
61. There are many things you can’t do because of COPD. There are also many things that you can. – Claire Wilbanks
62. I knew that I couldn’t give up. I decided to educate myself about COPD and learn everything I could about how to manage it. – Ali Caldwell
63. Despite the challenges I faced, I refused to let COPD defeat me. – Ali Caldwell
64. The question is not how to get cured, but how to live. – Joseph Conrad
65. The more you breathe, the more you feel. – Isabel Losada
66. Find encouragement and inspiration from others who are going through similar experiences with this condition. – Joseph Crawford
67. My journey with COPD is not easy, but I will never give up. With the right mindset and a willingness to make positive changes, I think we can overcome even the most challenging obstacles. I want others to know that if I can do it, they can too. – Michelle Parham
68. There is one way of breathing that is shameful and constricted. Then there’s another way; a breath of love that takes you all the way to infinity. – Rumi
69. Focusing on the act of breathing clears the mind of all daily distractions and clears our energy enabling us to better connect with the Spirit within. – Unknown
70. To meditate with mindful breathing is to bring body and mind back to the present moment so that you do not miss your appointment with life. – Nhat Hanh
71. Who will tell whether one happy moment of love or the joy of breathing or walking on a bright morning and smelling the fresh air, is not worth all the suffering and effort which life implies. – Erich Fromm
72. Breathing affects your respiratory, cardiovascular, neurological, gastrointestinal, muscular, and psychic systems, and also has a general effect on your sleep, memory, ability to concentrate, and your energy levels. – Donna Farhi
More Medical Quotes
We have similar articles that cover motivational quotes about other medical topics that I think you will enjoy. This includes the following:
- Quotes About Breathing
- Quotes About Asthma
- Quotes About Pneumonia
- Quotes About Emphysema
- Quotes About Cystic Fibrosis
- Quotes About Bronchiectasis
- Quotes About Lung Cancer
- Quotes About a Heart Attack
- Quotes About Congestive Heart Failure
- Quotes About Hypertension
- Quotes About Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Quotes About Myasthenia Gravis
- Quotes About Diabetes
- Quotes About Sleep Apnea
- Quotes About Alzheimer’s Disease
- Quotes About Tuberculosis
- Quotes for Respiratory Therapists
As mentioned above, “COPD is a serious chronic condition, but it does not define the person whom it affects.”
Hopefully, the quotes compiled in this article can provide encouragement and inspiration for anyone affected by this condition.
Whether you are living with COPD yourself or know someone who is, these quotes can provide comfort, motivation, and hope. Thanks for reading, and, as always, breathe easy, my friend.
John Landry is a registered respiratory therapist from Memphis, TN, and has a bachelor's degree in kinesiology. He enjoys using evidence-based research to help others breathe easier and live a healthier life.
- The gifted authors of these amazing quotes about COPD were credited throughout the article at the end of each quote.