Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder that affects thousands of individuals and families worldwide. It’s a chronic condition that causes severe damage to the lungs and digestive system, making it a lifelong battle for those whom it affects.
Despite the challenges it poses, many individuals with cystic fibrosis have found ways to not only cope with their condition, but to inspire others with their strength and resilience.
In this article, we’ve compiled a list of powerful and thought-provoking quotes about cystic fibrosis that highlight the courage and determination of those affected by this disease.
From the perspectives of patients, caregivers, and medical professionals, these quotes offer insight and inspiration for anyone impacted by cystic fibrosis.
Best Quotes About Cystic Fibrosis:
1. Want to know why you can’t tell that I have cystic fibrosis? It’s because I don’t let it get in my way. – Unknown
2. To go to hospitals and see people fight and overcome cystic fibrosis or cancer or any number of illnesses is to see courage that is humbling. – Dale Murphy
3. Cystic fibrosis has been a challenge to me, but I’ve been able to blossom nevertheless. – Gina Alejandra
4. If I didn’t have cystic fibrosis, I would not value life like I do. I would not cherish each breath like I do. I would not love each day like I do. I would not appreciate each moment like I do. And I would not live life like I do. – Unknown
5. Salt in my soul. – Mallory Smith
6. No matter what, no one without cystic fibrosis will ever completely understand what it’s like to live with it. – Unknown
7. Living with cystic fibrosis requires relentless commitment. – Brian Callanan
8. When life with cystic fibrosis is all you know, it can be challenging to describe this reality to people who know little or nothing about it. – Unknown
9. My life with cystic fibrosis makes me feel like a rose among thorns. – Gina Alejandra
10. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. – Maya Angelou
11. Cystic Fibrosis, although at times seeming like an extremely dark cloud, can have incredibly beautiful silver linings. – Brian Callanan
12. I may have cystic fibrosis, but cystic fibrosis does not have me. – Unknown
13. Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’ve ever imagined. – Dr. Seuss
14. The older I get, the more I lose my ability to breathe. – David Levithan
15. Cystic fibrosis is a serious chronic condition, but it does not define the person whom it affects. – Brant Reader
16. I was born to fight, and I fight to win. – Unknown
17. Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours. – Swedish Proverb
18. The wisest one-word sentence? Breathe. – Terri Guillemets
19. Breathing is the greatest pleasure in life. – Giovanni Papini
20. Breathe deeply, until sweet air extinguishes the burn of fear in your lungs and every breath is a beautiful refusal to become anything less than infinite. – D. Antoinette Foy
21. Cystic fibrosis may be a part of my life, but it will never be my whole life. – Unknown
22. Cystic fibrosis is a battle, but it’s not one I fight alone. – Unknown
23. Cystic fibrosis may be tough, but so am I. – Unknown
24. Cystic fibrosis may slow me down, but it will never stop me. – Unknown
25. Cystic fibrosis may be a burden, but it has also taught me the true meaning of strength and courage. – Unknown
26. Cystic fibrosis is not a death sentence, it’s just a different kind of life. – Unknown
27. Cystic fibrosis may be challenging, but it has also brought me so much love and support from my family and friends. – Unknown
28. Cystic fibrosis is not a hindrance to living a fulfilling life, it’s just one more obstacle to overcome. – Unknown
29. Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. – Oprah Winfrey
30. When the breath is unsteady, all is unsteady; when the breath is still; all is still. Control the breath carefully. Inhalation gives strength and a controlled body; retention gives steadiness of mind and longevity; exhalation purifies body and spirit. – Goraksasathakam
31. Cystic fibrosis makes the strong stronger. – John Landry
32. Without full awareness of breathing, there can be no development of meditative stability and understanding. – Thich Nhat Hanh
33. What can we do but keep on breathing in and out, modest and willing, and in our places? – Mary Oliver
34. Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. – Unknown
35. Breathing well means breathing more slowly and deeply. Relax, feel your breathing, and breathe comfortably. Once aware, it naturally becomes deeper and slower. – Ilchi Lee
36. The question is not how to get cured, but how to live. – Joseph Conrad
37. The more you breathe, the more you feel. – Isabel Losada
38. There is one way of breathing that is shameful and constricted. Then there’s another way; a breath of love that takes you all the way to infinity. – Rumi
39. Focusing on the act of breathing clears the mind of all daily distractions and clears our energy enabling us to better connect with the Spirit within. – Unknown
40. To meditate with mindful breathing is to bring body and mind back to the present moment so that you do not miss your appointment with life. – Nhat Hanh
41. Who will tell whether one happy moment of love or the joy of breathing or walking on a bright morning and smelling the fresh air, is not worth all the suffering and effort which life implies. – Erich Fromm
42. Breathing affects your respiratory, cardiovascular, neurological, gastrointestinal, muscular, and psychic systems, and also has a general effect on your sleep, memory, ability to concentrate, and your energy levels. – Donna Farhi
43. Just because you can’t see the air doesn’t mean you stop breathing, and just because you can’t see God doesn’t mean you stop believing. – Unknown
44. Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder that affects the respiratory, digestive, and reproductive systems.
45. This condition is caused by a mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene.
46. Cystic fibrosis is also characterized by the production of thick, sticky mucus that clogs the airways and can lead to lung infections.
47. Cystic fibrosis is one of the most common life-shortening genetic diseases.
48. There is currently no cure for cystic fibrosis, but treatments such as antibiotics, airway clearance techniques, and lung transplants can help to manage the symptoms.
49. Cystic fibrosis can also cause problems in the pancreas, which can lead to difficulty digesting food and malnutrition.
50. Breathing is meditation; life is a meditation. You have to breathe in order to live, so breathing is how you get in touch with the sacred space of your heart. – Willow Smith
51. Let the air become you, and then leave you. Forgive each breath because although it abandons you, every single time, it also brings you life. A man who cannot forgive the air has no chance of living. – Edmond Manning
52. Cystic fibrosis may take away my breath, but it will never take away my spirit. – Unknown
53. Cystic fibrosis may be a challenge, but it has also taught me the true meaning of hope and perseverance. – Unknown
54. Cystic fibrosis may limit my physical capabilities, but it will never limit my ability to dream and achieve. – Unknown
55. Cystic fibrosis may be a daily struggle, but it’s one that has given me a greater appreciation for life. – Unknown
56. Cystic fibrosis may be a part of my journey, but it’s not the destination. – Unknown
57. I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. – Nelson Mandela
58. Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have strength. – Napoleon Bonapart
59. It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit. – J.R.R. Tolkien
60. Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake. – Victor Hugo
61. I do not like cystic fibrosis here or there. I do not like cystic fibrosis anywhere. – Dr. Seuss
62. Inhale the future, exhale the past. – Author Unknown
63. Just breathing can be such a luxury at times. – Unknown
64. Cystic fibrosis is more common in caucasians, but it does occur in people of all races and ethnicities.
65. There are more adults in the United States with cystic fibrosis than there are children.
66. So many people don’t realize that they have a connection to cystic fibrosis, and the more awareness we can bring, the closer we are to a cure. – Alexandria Yarborough
67. Cystic fibrosis is an invisible illness. – Angela DeStasio
68. Throughout my life, I have faced challenge after challenge and never gave up. As a result, I learned all the tools to be a cystic fibrosis warrior every day. – Tim Sweeney
69. Pause, breathe. Repair the universe, then proceed. – Unknown
70. Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. – Harriet Beecher Stowe
71. Cystic fibrosis may affect you both mentally and physically. – John Landry
72. Breathe easy. – Unknown
More Medical Quotes
We have similar articles that cover motivational quotes about other medical topics that I think you will enjoy. This includes the following:
- Quotes About Breathing
- Quotes About Asthma
- Quotes About COPD
- Quotes About Pneumonia
- Quotes About Emphysema
- Quotes About Bronchiectasis
- Quotes About Lung Cancer
- Quotes About a Heart Attack
- Quotes About Congestive Heart Failure
- Quotes About Hypertension
- Quotes About Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Quotes About Myasthenia Gravis
- Quotes About Diabetes
- Quotes About Sleep Apnea
- Quotes About Alzheimer’s Disease
- Quotes About Tuberculosis
- Quotes for Respiratory Therapists
As mentioned above, “cystic fibrosis is a serious chronic condition, but it does not define the person whom it affects.”
Hopefully, the quotes compiled in this article can provide encouragement and inspiration for anyone affected by this condition. Whether you are living with cystic fibrosis yourself or know someone who is, these quotes can provide comfort, motivation, and hope.
Thanks for reading, and, as always, breathe easy, my friend.
John Landry, BS, RRT
John Landry is a registered respiratory therapist from Memphis, TN, and has a bachelor's degree in kinesiology. He enjoys using evidence-based research to help others breathe easier and live a healthier life.
- The gifted authors of these amazing quotes about cystic fibrosis were credited throughout the article at the end of each quote.