Here is a sample of the answers for Chapter 17 of the Egan’s Workbook. For rest of the answers, check out our Workbook Helper. We have both the 10th and 11th Edition available.
1. A. Infection, B. Immune response, C. Stress/trauma
2. A. Bone marrow disease, (e.g., leukemia), B. Chemotherapy or radiation therapy, C. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)
3. A. Bacterial: neutrophils, B. Viral: lymphocytes
5. A. Term: anemia
B. Treatment: blood transfusion for severe life-threatening anemia.
6. A. Normal: 12 to 16 g/dL, B. Respiratory role: Hemoglobin carries oxygen, CO2, and is a buffer.
7. Secondary polycythemia
8. A. Blood count: platelets, B. Blood chemistry test: prothrombin time, clotting times/studies
9. 3.5 to 5 mmol/L
10. Muscle weakness and arrhythmias may manifest due to hyperkalemia and hypokalemia. If abnormalities are not normalized, the patient may then be unable to maintain the necessary ventilation during weaning.
For the rest of the answers, check out the Workbook Helper.
10th & 11th Edition