Respiratory therapists are vital members of the healthcare team. They help treat patients with chronic lung conditions and play an essential role in managing respiratory distress.
It’s a serious job, but that doesn’t mean respiratory therapists can’t have a little fun! In fact, I would venture to say that most RTs have a strong sense of humor.
So, to help spread some laughter and good cheer, we’ve compiled a list of the funniest jokes and puns about respiratory therapists that will brighten your day.
Get access to 25+ premium quizzes, mini-courses, and downloadable cheat sheets for FREE.
Respiratory Therapist Jokes and Puns
1. You might think being a respiratory therapist is easy, but it’s SNOT.
2. If you know the difference between “breath” and “breathe,” you might be a respiratory therapist.
3. What does a respiratory therapist do? Stop breathing, and I’ll show you!
4. What did one lung say to the other?
“We be-lung together!”
5. What does a respiratory therapist eat for breakfast?
6. “Knock, knock!”
“I can’t tell you that.”
7. Did you hear about the respiratory therapist who died and went straight to hell?
It took her three 12-hour shifts to realize that she wasn’t at work anymore.
8. People say you can’t live without love, but I think oxygen is more important.
9. How long does it take a respiratory therapist to change a light bulb?
It only takes around 15 seconds to change it, but it takes 30 minutes to document everything in the bulb’s medical record.
10. A respiratory therapist is on his death bed, and his wife asks him about his final wish.
He says, “I want to be cremated; there will be no coughin at my funeral”
11. My grandfather took my phone away because he claims that people rely on technology too much nowadays.
I said, “you’re right,” and then unplugged his ventilator.
12. Feeling sick?
Here, have some Allbetterol.
13. Oh, for PEEP’s sake! 🐣
14. Respiratory therapists are cute enough to take your breath away and skilled enough to give it back.
15. Hey, is your name Corona?
Because you put the cute, in acute respiratory failure.
16. Why do poop when you can do PEEP instead?
17. Why did the respiratory therapist need a red crayon?
She needed to draw blood. 🩸
18. Never upset a NICU respiratory therapist. They have very little patients.
19. What did the respiratory therapist say to the man who fainted at the airport?
“I think you might have a terminal illness.”
20. Respiratory therapist: “Anything else I can get you?”
Patient: “A million dollars!” 💰
21. A respiratory therapist tried lying to the x-ray technicians, but they could see right through her.
22. The respiratory therapist helped transport a man into the operating room, but at the last minute, he had a change of heart.
23. Smoking will kill you. Bacon will kill you. But, smoking bacon will cure it. 🥓
24. Why is art class included in the respiratory therapy school curriculum?
So that students know how to draw blood.
25. Did you hear about the patient who lost their left lung?
He’s all right now.
26. Why did the doctor tell the respiratory therapist to walk quietly past the medicine cabinet?
So that she wouldn’t wake the sleeping pills. 💊
27. They tried to save the patient with an I.V., but it was all in vein.
28. “Knock, knock!”
“Colin the respiratory therapist, I can’t breathe!”
29. Why are respiratory therapists always calm?
They have a lot of patients.
30. Why did Dracula go to the respiratory therapist?
He couldn’t stop coffin! ⚰️
31. Why didn’t Elsa see a respiratory therapist for her sore throat and cough?
A cold never bothered her, anyway. ❄️
32. The respiratory therapist said not to worry about the bird flu because it’s tweetable. 🐦
33. Nurse: “There’s a patient in room #12 who can’t breathe and says he’s invisible.”
Respiratory therapist: “Well, tell him I can’t see him right now.”
34. The x-ray technician accidentally gave the respiratory therapist a radiograph of the patient’s arm instead of the lungs.
The respiratory therapist found the x-ray humerus. 🦴
35. Doctor: “Hey respiratory, how is that little boy doing who swallowed 10 quarters last night? Has their breathing improved?”
Respiratory therapist: “No change yet.” 🪙
36. Patient: “I’m really worried about my breathing.”
Respiratory therapist: “We’ll soon put a stop to that.”
37. Patient: “Every time I take a deep breath, I see Donald Duck and Micky Mouse.”
Respiratory therapist: “How long have you been getting these Disney spells?”
38. Patient: “I think I swallowed a LEGO! It hurts, and I can’t breathe.”
Respiratory therapist: “Take a slow, deep breath, and try to block out the pain.”
39. Patient: “I’ve swallowed a watch, and I can’t breathe. What should I do?”
Respiratory therapist: “Take this breathing treatment; it should help you pass the time.” ⌚️
40. What do you call a pink blowfish who smokes?
A pink puffer
41. A respiratory therapist noticed a group of cows who were smoking while playing cards. The steaks were high. 🐄
42. Lungs: “We’ll always be th-air for you.”
43. Wife: “I thought I told you to stop smoking.”
Husband: “Can’t we all just get a lung?”
44. Doctor: “I noticed the patient started having trouble breathing. What happened?”
Respiratory therapist: “It’s a lung story.”
45. Respiratory therapists often get asked about the causes of lung cancer. This is a difficult question, so they have to answer asbestos they can.
46. Parent: “Why does my child have black lungs?”
Respiratory Therapist: “It’s a minor issue.”
47. What is it called when a basketball player gets a lung infection?
48. The respiratory therapist was communicating with the family of a patient with lung cancer and stated, “he doesn’t have a lung time.” ⏱
49. What is the lung’s favorite food?
50. A patient needed a lung transplant but came out of surgery with larger breasts.
She never got her breath implants.
51. A respiratory therapy student got to assist with her first lung surgery. She said that it what breathtaking.
52. Lung cancer patient: “The doctor said they’re close to finding me a donor lung, but I’m not holding my breath.”
53. A respiratory therapy student failed every single exam. I think it’s because he has poor lung-term memory.
54. A hopeful patient just found out that he has lung cancer. His chance of survival went up in smoke. 💨
55. What is a respiratory therapist’s favorite type of math?
Lung division ➗
56. What did the lung say to the cigarette that it fell in love with?
“You took my breath away.” 🚬
57. SNOT easy being wheezy.
58. How many respiratory therapists does it take to change a light bulb?
None; they’ll have a student do it instead. 💡
59. A respiratory therapy student was nervous about sticking their first ABG. The RT confidently told the student to “give it your best shot.” 💉
60. SMOKERS; here for a good time, not a LUNG time.
61. A hotdog is intubated and receiving mechanical ventilation. The respiratory therapist thinks it’s time to weiner. 🌭
62. Why was the blood gas inconsistent?
Because it has arterial motives.
63. What did the receptor say to acetylcholine?
What happens in Vagus, stays in Vagus. 🎰
64. What is the most gangster way to draw blood?
An abG 😎
65. A respiratory therapist claims she’s from New York, but she’s actually from The Bronchs.
66. The respiratory therapist was very angry but eventually calmed down. I think she just needed to vent. 😤
67. What did the respiratory therapist say after starting a new diet?
68. What do you call a shift where all your patients are on room air?
69. Patient: “I heard that ventricular fibrillation can lead to strokes.”
Respiratory therapist: “No, that’s Afib.”
70. What did the endotracheal tube say to the suction catheter?
71. Why does a neonatal respiratory therapist use HFOV?
So they don’t hertz the baby’s lungs
72. “When your dad walks out of the clinic and forgets you…”
We hope you enjoyed our list of funny respiratory therapist jokes! If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post and tag us on Instagram.
We’ll be sure to credit you in our next list.
In all seriousness, being a respiratory therapist is a difficult and challenging job. That is why we must all remember to take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the little things in life.
If you’re a respiratory therapist, thank you for your hard work! And if you need a good laugh, hopefully, these jokes can do the trick. Thanks for reading!
Most of these jokes were written and created by the Respiratory Therapy Zone team; however, some were submitted by members of our amazing community.
Here are some of the hilarious RTs that contributed:
- bRiTspuns (@brits_puns) – https://www.instagram.com/brits_puns/.
- memes, as needed (@memes.prn) – https://instagram.com/memes.prn/.
- Noc Shift RT (@nocshift_rt) – https://instagram.com/nocshift_rt/.
- I Need RT STAT! (ineedrtstat) – https://instagram.com/ineedrtstat/.
- Brant Reader (@brantreader) – https://www.instagram.com/brantreader/.
- Memes, RRT (@memesrrt) – https://www.instagram.com/memesrrt/.
We would like to give a huge thanks to the respiratory therapists who provided the inspiration that helped us compile this list. 🙌