Emphysema, a chronic lung disease that affects millions of people worldwide, can be a challenging and life-altering condition.
These powerful quotes about emphysema offer a glimpse into the struggles and triumphs of those affected by the disease, as well as the importance of raising awareness and finding a cure.
From the words of medical professionals to those personally impacted by emphysema, these quotes will remind you of the daily challenges and resilience of those living with the disease.
Best Quotes About Emphysema:
1. There is no cure for emphysema, but you can start treating it and have a better quality of life. – Loni Anderson
2. Your struggles with emphysema today are helping you develop the strength you need for tomorrow. – John Landry
3. Emphysema is a thief. It steals your breath and your ability to enjoy the things you love. – Mary Sawyer
4. Emphysema doesn’t just take your breath away; it takes away your life. – Mark Harris
5. Emphysema is not just a physical disease; it’s an emotional and mental battle as well. – Diamond Martin
6. Emphysema may take away my ability to breathe easily, but it will never take away my determination to live. – Trey Morgan
7. Emphysema is a disease that affects not just the person who has it but also the people around them. – Erika Stroud
8. Emphysema is a serious chronic condition, but it does not define the person whom it affects. – Brant Reader
9. You are more than your lung disease. – John Landry
10. COPD is a tough disease and takes a lot of work to manage. To have a fulfilling life takes determination. – Carol Kirker
11. You can and will be able to make a significant difference in the quality of your life if you make the commitment to take an active role in managing your disease. – Teri Allen
12. You can find your best life with COPD — a life with health, happiness, and hope. – Jane Martin
13. It’s time for you to win the daily fight for air. – Elizabeth Moffett
14. It’s important to educate yourself now versus later. Knowledge is power, and having all the knowledge at the start will make the rest of the journey that much easier to deal with. – Unknown
15. Patients at every stage of COPD can learn to work with their limitations, rather than against them. – Teri Allen
16. Emphysema affects much more than just your lungs. It affects your soul. But you can conquer it. – Unknown
17. Emphysema is like an iceberg because what you see is only the tip of what’s really going on. – Unknown
18. Emphysema can be a ruthless disease, but I am determined to fight it and live each day with love and laughter. – Abby Brown
19. By understanding both the physical and emotional aspects of COPD, you can learn to work with your problems rather than against them. – Teri Allen
20. The way to keep moving forward is to talk to others living with the same condition. – Unknown
21. Emphysema is a chronic lung disease that affects the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs, making it difficult to breathe.
22. Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) that causes the alveoli to lose their elasticity, making it harder for air to flow in and out of the lungs.
23. The primary cause of emphysema is smoking, but it can also be caused by exposure to air pollution or other irritants.
24. Symptoms of emphysema include shortness of breath, a persistent cough, and difficulty breathing.
25. Emphysema is a progressive disease, meaning it gets worse over time.
26. Emphysema is not contagious; it can’t be passed from person to person.
27. There is no cure for emphysema, but treatment can help manage the symptoms and slow the progression of the disease.
28. Treatment options for emphysema include medications, oxygen therapy, and lung rehabilitation exercises.
29. Emphysema is more common in older adults and men, but it can occur in anyone who has been exposed to lung irritants for a long period of time.
30. Preventing emphysema means avoiding smoking, as well as exposure to secondhand smoke and other lung irritants.
31. The only way to truly understand emphysema is to live with it. – Unknown
32. Emphysema is not a death sentence; it’s a life sentence. It’s a constant battle but one that is worth fighting. – Unknown
33. Emphysema is a disease that gradually takes away your ability to breathe. It’s a constant reminder that every breath is precious. – Unknown
34. Emphysema is not a sprint; it’s a marathon. It requires patience, determination, and a strong will. – Unknown
35. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. – Maya Angelou
36. The older I get, the more I lose my ability to breathe. – David Levithan
37. Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours. – Swedish Proverb
38. The wisest one-word sentence? Breathe. – Terri Guillemets
39. Breathing is the greatest pleasure in life. – Giovanni Papini
40. Emphysema is a reminder that health is not something to take for granted. – Unknown
41. COPD is a reminder that the things we take for granted, like breathing, are actually a gift. – Unknown
42. Breathe easy. – Unknown
43. Just because you can’t see the air doesn’t mean you stop breathing, and just because you can’t see God doesn’t mean you stop believing. – Unknown
44. Breathing is meditation; life is a meditation. You have to breathe in order to live, so breathing is how you get in touch with the sacred space of your heart. – Willow Smith
45. Let the air become you, and then leave you. Forgive each breath because although it abandons you, every single time, it also brings you life. A man who cannot forgive the air has no chance of living. – Edmond Manning
46. It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit. – J.R.R. Tolkien
47. Inhale the future, exhale the past. – Unknown
48. Just breathing can be such a luxury at times. – Unknown
49. Emphysema may slow me down, but it will never stop me from living my life to the fullest. – Unknown
50. People don’t understand that emphysema is a chronic condition that requires constant care. They don’t realize what’s involved to be able to breathe. – Unknown
51. The question is not how to get cured, but how to live. – Joseph Conrad
52. The more you breathe, the more you feel. – Isabel Losada
53. COPD is a reminder that the things we take for granted, like breathing, are such an amazing gift. – Haley Peterson
54. Breathe deeply, until sweet air extinguishes the burn of fear in your lungs and every breath is a beautiful refusal to become anything less than infinite. – D. Antoinette Foy
55. Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. – Oprah Winfrey
56. When the breath is unsteady, all is unsteady; when the breath is still; all is still. Control the breath carefully. Inhalation gives strength and a controlled body; retention gives steadiness of mind and longevity; exhalation purifies body and spirit. – Goraksasathakam
57. Without full awareness of breathing, there can be no development of meditative stability and understanding. – Thich Nhat Hanh
58. What can we do but keep on breathing in and out, modest and willing, and in our places? – Mary Oliver
59. Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. – Unknown
60. Breathing well means breathing more slowly and deeply. Relax, feel your breathing, and breathe comfortably. Once aware, it naturally becomes deeper and slower. – Ilchi Lee
61. Pause, breathe. Repair the universe, then proceed. – Unknown
62. There are many things you can’t do because of COPD. There are also many things that you can. – Claire Wilbanks
63. I knew that I couldn’t give up. I decided to educate myself about COPD and learn everything I could about how to manage it. – Ali Caldwell
64. Despite the challenges I faced, I refused to let COPD defeat me. – Ali Caldwell
65. Focusing on the act of breathing clears the mind of all daily distractions and clears our energy enabling us to better connect with the Spirit within. – Unknown
66. To meditate with mindful breathing is to bring body and mind back to the present moment so that you do not miss your appointment with life. – Nhat Hanh
67. Who will tell whether one happy moment of love or the joy of breathing or walking on a bright morning and smelling the fresh air, is not worth all the suffering and effort which life implies. – Erich Fromm
68. Breathing affects your respiratory, cardiovascular, neurological, gastrointestinal, muscular, and psychic systems, and also has a general effect on your sleep, memory, ability to concentrate, and your energy levels. – Donna Farhi
69. Find encouragement and inspiration from others who are going through similar experiences with this condition. – Joseph Crawford
70. My journey with COPD is not easy, but I will never give up. With the right mindset and a willingness to make positive changes, I think we can overcome even the most challenging obstacles. I want others to know that if I can do it, they can too. – Michelle Parham
71. There is one way of breathing that is shameful and constricted. Then there’s another way; a breath of love that takes you all the way to infinity. – Rumi
72. I’m breathing, and trust me, that’s a huge accomplishment. – Unknown
More Medical Quotes
We have similar articles that cover motivational quotes about other medical topics that I think you will enjoy. This includes the following:
- Quotes About Breathing
- Quotes About Asthma
- Quotes About COPD
- Quotes About Cystic Fibrosis
- Quotes About Pneumonia
- Quotes About Bronchiectasis
- Quotes About Lung Cancer
- Quotes About a Heart Attack
- Quotes About Congestive Heart Failure
- Quotes About Hypertension
- Quotes About Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Quotes About Myasthenia Gravis
- Quotes About Diabetes
- Quotes About Sleep Apnea
- Quotes About Alzheimer’s Disease
- Quotes About Tuberculosis
- Quotes for Respiratory Therapists
As mentioned above, “emphysema is a serious chronic condition, but it does not define the person whom it affects.”
Hopefully, the quotes compiled in this article can provide encouragement and inspiration for anyone affected by this condition.
Whether you are living with emphysema yourself or know someone who is, these quotes can provide comfort, motivation, and hope. Thanks for reading, and, as always, breathe easy, my friend.
John Landry, BS, RRT
John Landry is a registered respiratory therapist from Memphis, TN, and has a bachelor's degree in kinesiology. He enjoys using evidence-based research to help others breathe easier and live a healthier life.
- The gifted authors of these amazing quotes about emphysema were credited throughout the article at the end of each quote.