Myasthenia gravis is a chronic autoimmune disorder that affects the transmission of nerve impulses to muscles.
Despite its challenges, those living with myasthenia gravis often find inspiration and strength in the words of others.
This article brings together a collection of the best quotes about myasthenia gravis to provide encouragement and empowerment to those who are living with the condition.
Best Quotes About Myasthenia Gravis:
1. A disease unfamiliar to many, myasthenia gravis means “grave muscle weakness” and causes severe weakness and loss of strength in voluntary muscles in various parts of the body. – Dr. Ron Henderson
2. Being well-informed about myasthenia gravis is the best defense you can have to cope with it. – Rebecca Curry
3. A greater understanding of the reality of living with myasthenia gravis (MG) may improve management and outcomes for patients. – Nancy Law
4. I was at school, and my speech started to slur. My legs collapsed. I felt really weak. They thought maybe I had a stroke. One doctor guessed it might be migraines. I actually had myasthenia gravis. – Alexandria Edwards
5. Myasthenia gravis may take away our physical strength, but it cannot take away our spirit and determination. – Frank Shilstone
6. Myasthenia gravis may slow us down, but we must push through. – Kingman Foxworth
7. With every challenge comes an opportunity for growth and strength. – Martin Maxwell
8. We may have a weakness in our muscles, but our spirit is unbreakable. – John Landry
9. Our bodies may be affected by myasthenia gravis, but our minds remain strong. – Heath Burdette
10. Myasthenia gravis may test us, but it cannot conquer us. – Dalton Prescott
11. Your greatest wealth is health. – Unknown
12. If you or a loved one suffers from this disease, do yourself a favor and learn everything you can about it. The more you know, the more equipped you will be to combat the condition. – Frederick Earlstein
13. Every patient will have muscle weakness, but the difficulty to live with is that it is so unstable…the fluctuation is even worse to live with than the muscle weakness itself. – Patient Advocate
14. You feel it from the moment you wake up and you have to adjust your routines and expectations; I live day by day. Those bad days you need to prioritize the most important activities, or the most basic, and try to work with your medication. – Unknown
15. When catastrophic disease strikes, it finds its victims unprepared. They aren’t mentally primed to grapple with the complexities of the medical system. – Carole Williams
16. There is no single answer to the question as to how life may change after recovery from this disorder. Each case appears to be unique. – Brain Langton
17. No one is exempt from problems. But how do you face those problems when there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel? How do you face problems when all hope seems to be lost? – Brain Beeks
18. A positive mindset can overcome the most dire of situations. – Scott Earle
19. The journey from diagnosis to treatment wasn’t a straight line. – Alexandria Edwards
20. You may need a walker, shower chair, wheelchair, or something else. But, if possible, don’t rely on your aids all the time. It’s good to walk or use your muscles as much as you can. – Alexandria Edwards
21. Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip Toe if you must, but take a step. – Naeem Callaway
22. Behind every chronic illness is just a person trying to find their way in the world. We want to find love and be loved and be happy just like you. We want to be successful and do something that matters. We’re just dealing with unwanted limitations in our hero’s journey. – Glenn Schweitzer
23. She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible. She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings. – Ariana Dancu
24. Myasthenia gravis may challenge us, but it cannot defeat us. – Bryan Thomas
25. You either get bitter or you get better. It’s that simple. You either take what has been dealt to you and allow it to make you a better person, or you allow it to tear you down. The choice does not belong to fate, it belongs to you. – Josh Shipp
26. Resting is not laziness, it’s medicine! – Glenn Schweitzer
27. It helps you to figure out what really matters in your life and set priorities. Things that might have caused you stress before you nearly died in crisis become minor annoyances. – Patient advocate
28. Despite these limitations, we believe that this patient-led analysis provides an important portrayal of the lived experience of myasthenia gravis from the patient’s perspective. – Nancy Law
29. Never let the things you cannot do prevent you from doing the things you can. – John Wooden
30. The grass is greener where you water it. – Neil Barringham
31. Myasthenia gravis is a chronic autoimmune disorder that affects the transmission of nerve impulses to muscles.
32. Women are affected by myasthenia gravis twice as often as men.
33. Myasthenia gravis most commonly affects people between the ages of 20 and 40.
34. The most common symptoms of myasthenia gravis include weakness in the eyes, face, neck, and limbs.
35. Myasthenia gravis is caused by an abnormal immune response that attacks the receptors responsible for transmitting nerve impulses to muscles.
36. There is no cure for myasthenia gravis, but treatments such as medication, immunoglobulin therapy, and plasmapheresis can help manage symptoms.
37. Some famous individuals who have been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis include Neil Young and Jack Osbourne.
38. The butterfly symbol is often used to represent myasthenia gravis, symbolizing the beauty and fragility of those affected by the condition.
39. I fight for my health every day in ways that most people don’t understand. I’m not lazy. I’m a warrior! – Unknown
40. Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow. – Mary Anne Radmacher
41. Myasthenia gravis may hinder us, but it cannot diminish our determination. – Brady Pinkston
42. When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven’t. – Thomas Edison
43. Talking about our problems is our greatest addiction. Break the habit. Talk about your joys. – Rita Schiano
44. Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it. – Charles R. Swindoll
45. The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. – C.C. Scott
46. Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are. – Arthur Golden
47. The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. – Nelson Mandela
48. We do not have to be defined by our illness. We are much more than our symptoms. – Dr. Brent Shaefer
49. Struggle is a sign that you’re alive, that you’re human, and that you’re trying. – Zander Blancher
50. The only way to do great work is to love what you do. – Steve Jobs
51. You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it. – Margaret Thatcher
52. A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. – Herm Albright
53. If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward. – Martin Luther King Jr.
54. Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. – A. A. Milne
55. Sometimes you will be in control of your illness and other times you’ll sink into despair, and that’s OK! Freak out, forgive yourself, and try again tomorrow. – Kelly Hemingway
56. Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take a step. – Naeem Callaway
57. You are strong when you know your weaknesses. You are beautiful when you appreciate your flaws. You are wise when you learn from your mistakes. – Unknown
58. Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it. – Helen Keller
59. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
60. Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it’s about learning to dance in the rain. – Vivian Greene
61. A difficult illness is like a dark tunnel. But just as light always follows darkness, hope always follows despair. – Unknown
62. We are not defined by our illness. We are defined by our strength, our courage, and our determination. – Unknown
63. Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny. – C.S. Lewis
64. One day at a time, one step at a time, one breath at a time. That’s how you get through the hardest of times. – Unknown
65. We may have a weakness in our limbs, but our spirit is immeasurable. – Zach Cronin
66. Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. – Soren Kierkegaard
67. We may face difficulties with myasthenia gravis, but our spirit remains unyielding. – Cole Thompson
68. You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it. – Unknown
69. Behind every chronic illness is just a person trying to find their way in the world. We want to find love and be loved and be happy just like you. We want to be successful and do something that matters. We’re just dealing with unwanted limitations in our hero’s journey. – Glenn Schweitzer
70. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. – Helen Keller
71. Adversity may come in the form of myasthenia gravis, but it cannot dim our light. – Sherryl Smith
72. Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. – Joshua J. Marine
More Medical Quotes
We have similar articles that cover motivational quotes about other medical topics that I think you will enjoy. This includes the following:
- Quotes About Breathing
- Quotes About Asthma
- Quotes About COPD
- Quotes About Cystic Fibrosis
- Quotes About Pneumonia
- Quotes About Emphysema
- Quotes About Bronchiectasis
- Quotes About Lung Cancer
- Quotes About a Heart Attack
- Quotes About Congestive Heart Failure
- Quotes About Hypertension
- Quotes About Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Quotes About Diabetes
- Quotes About Sleep Apnea
- Quotes About Alzheimer’s Disease
- Quotes About Tuberculosis
- Quotes for Respiratory Therapists
Myasthenia gravis can be a challenging condition to live with, but it is important to remember that we are not defined by our limitations. The quotes listed in this article serve as a reminder that our spirit and determination can overcome any obstacle.
Whether you are living with myasthenia gravis or know someone who is, these quotes provide encouragement and hope.
They remind us that we are strong, capable, and resilient and that we have the power to overcome any challenge that comes our way. So hold your head high, keep pushing forward, and never forget the immense strength and determination that lies within you.
John Landry is a registered respiratory therapist from Memphis, TN, and has a bachelor's degree in kinesiology. He enjoys using evidence-based research to help others breathe easier and live a healthier life.
- The gifted authors of these amazing quotes about myasthenia gravis were credited throughout the article at the end of each quote.
- Nancy Law. The Lived Experience of Myasthenia Gravis: A Patient-Led Analysis. Neurol Ther. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8540870/. 2021.